This is one of my favorite pasta dishes that is perfect for the summer as it is delicious both hot and cold. It has evolved a bit from its original form. The original is in Nigella Lawson’s Forever Summer (pg. 38). I found that I like how the shells capture the crab meat. It allows you to not only have more crab in a bite, but you are able to get the perfect bite (crab, shell, tomato, and last, but not least some avocado). I like to add the avocado to each individual bowl as it’s served so the avocado doesn’t turn brown.
2 cloves of garlic
¾ tbsp kosher salt
¼-⅓ tsp crushed red pepper
2 cans of lump crab meat drained
1 can of fancy crab meat drained
½ cup olive oil
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 box of medium pasta shells (1 pound)
2 handfuls of parsley chopped
1.5 pts of grape tomatoes quartered
1-2 avocadoes chopped
· Put a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.
· In a pestle and mortar mash the garlic and the salt into a smooth paste (or use the small bowl of your food processor).
· If using the pestle and mortar, add the lemon juice to the bowl to help loosen up the garlic and salt mixture. Transfer to a bowl large enough for you to mix the pasta in.
· Add the lemon zest, olive oil, tomatoes, and crab meat.
· Add the cooked pasta and parsley and gently fold till mixed.
· To each individual serving, add the avocado.
I will try this with gluten-free pasta. Looks yummy!
Awesome! Let me know you think when you do. (Sorry for the very much delayed response. I just figured out why I couldn't reply to comments).