Chocolate, sweet chocolate, how I’ve missed thee. I think chocolate was one of the hardest foods to give up. I still can only have a small amount or it will trigger headaches, but a little is better than none. And if you can only have a little, then I highly recommend this chocolate torte. It’s like chocolate mousse in cake form. A little bit of heaven. Make this for your family and friends and they will NEVER believe that it is dairy free!
12.5 squares (5oz) Dark Chocolate Dream chocolate
¾ cup + 2T sugar
½ cup rice milk
3large egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp Kahlua or coffee extract
¼ tsp salt
3 large egg whites at room temperature
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
· Heat oven to 350F
· Line the bottom of an 8” springform pan with wax paper and lightly spray the bottom and sides with the vegetable spray.
· Wrap bottom of pan with foil (and up the sides by 2 inches).
· Place the chocolate in a microwave proof bowl.
· Microwave on high for 1.5-2 minutes to melt until smooth.
· In a small sauce pan, combine ¾ cup sugar and rice milk. Whisk together and ook for 2 minutes over medium heat, whisking constantly until smooth.
· Whisk the milk/sugar mixture into the melted chocolate until smooth.
· Stir in egg yolks, vanilla, Kahlua (or coffee extract) and salt.
· Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl at medium speed until foamy. You want the egg whites to form stiff, shiny peaks.
· Gradually beat in the remaining ¼ cup sugar; increase speed to high and beat just until stiff, but not dry. Be careful not to over mix to point of being dry.
· With a rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites into the chocolate mixture, ⅓ at a time.
· Fold in flour
· Spread in prepared pan.
· Place springform pan in a roasting pan.
· Pour enough water to reach 1” up the side of the pan.
· Bake for 30 minutes.
· Remove pan from water.
· Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack
· Discard foil. Remove sides of the pan and cool cake completely.
5 squares (2oz) semisweet Dark Chocolate Dream chocolate
2 tbsp rice milk
1 tsp light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp brandy, Kahlua or coffee extract
· Microwave chocolate on high in a medium bowl 1.5-2 minutes.
· Stir until smooth
· Stir in evaporate skim milk and corn syrup, until well blended.
· Add brandy, Kahlua (liquors) if desired
· Pour glaze over the top of the cake, spreading over the top and the sides.