I was feeling a little stressed the other afternoon and I just couldn’t focus on anything. So, what can make a girl feel better? Vanilla cupcakes with colored sprinkles! I’ve been playing around with a yellow cake recipe. Some of the recipes that I’ve come across lately ended up being too dense, almost a pound cake, but not or too eggy tasting. I think I’ve found the perfect balance of flavor and texture.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 cups sour rice milk (divided)*
½ cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
· Preheat the oven to 375°F
· In a large mixing bowl, combine and whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
· In a 2 cup liquid measuring cup (or a small mixing bowl) combine and whisk 1 cup sour rice milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs.
· Make a well in the flour mixture.
· Pour mix the milk mixture into the flour mixture, mix.
· Bring the 1 cup rice milk to a boil (1-2 minutes in the microwave).
· With the mixer going, VERY slowly pour the hot rice milk into the cake batter.
· Beat on high for 1 minute to incorporate some air into the batter.
· Pour into 2 lined standard sized cupcake pans.
TIP: Lightly spritz the cupcake liners and tin with non-dairy cooking spray. It will help when you go to remove the liners from the cupcakes.
· For cupcakes: Bake 20-25 minutes. Mini-cupcakes: Bake 15-20 minutes.**
· Cool completely on a wire rack.
*Sour Milk: Place 1 tbsp lemon juice in the measuring cup and then add milk until you reach the 1cup mark.
** For 2 9inch cake pans: Bake for 25-30 minutes
2 sticks Fleischmann’s Unsalted Margarine sticks
4-5 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1-3 tbsp rice milk
· Combine margarine, margarine, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
· Add rice milk 1 tbsp at a time until you reach the desired consistency. If you stick an offset spatula in the frosting it should lean slightly to the side.
· Frost cupcakes.