Here is a gluten free version of my Chocolate Chiffon Pie.
Use finely ground nuts, either almonds or hazelnuts, in place of graham cracker or cookie crumbs.
This time I used a 9inch spring form pan instead of a pie pan and added a dairy free chocolate ganache on top. I have decided that I prefer the look and ease of the spring form pan. The result is an unbelievably lush and decadent dessert that is sure to impress anyone who tries it.
Gluten free crust
2 cups ground nuts (almond or hazelnuts)
4 tbsp granulated sugar
4 tbsp Fleischmann’s Unsalted Margarine sticks, melted
· Thoroughly mix the ingredients together.
· Press into the bottom of a 9inch spring form pan.
· Pour the Chocolate Chiffon Pie filling into the pan.
· Refrigerate until firm.
· Run a knife around the edge of the pan.
· Release the latch and very slowly lift the ring away.
· Place back in the refrigerator until the ganache is ready.
· Pour ganache over the pie. (optional)
· Chill until it is time to serve.
The filling for the pie is the same as the original recipe. I am including it here so it’s all in one place.
Chocolate Chiffon Pie Filling
1 pkg plain gelatin
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
1¼ cups rice milk
6 oz. Scharffen Berger Semi Sweet Dark Chocolate*, broken into chunks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp Kahlua (coffee flavored liqueur) or 1 tsp coffee extract
4 egg yolks
3 egg whites
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
· Combine gelatin, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan.
· Gradually stir in the rice milk.
· Add the chocolate pieces.
· Stir over low heat until the chocolate melts.
· Remove from the heat.
· Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl, then whisk a small amount of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks.
· Stir the yolk mixture into the chocolate mixture.
· Return to low heat.
· Stir until thickened.
· Stir in vanilla extract and Kahlua (coffee extract).
· Cool mixture until it’s very thick.
· In a mixing bowl, beat the room temperature egg whites and cream of tartar.
· Once the egg whites are foamy reduce the speed to medium and very slowly add the sugar.
· Beat on high until the egg whites are stiff but not dry.
· Stir ⅓ of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
· Gently fold the remaining egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
· Pour over the crust.
You can use other liqueurs or none at all depending on your preference.
9 oz dark or semi-sweet chocolate
1 tbsp rum (or Kahlua), optional
· Chop chocolate into smaller pieces
· Combine chocolate and coconut creamer in a saucepan.
· Whisk over medium high heat until the chocolate is melted and the mixture thickens.
· Remove from heat.
· Whisk in rum (Kahlua).
· Let cool until it is warm to the touch, but not hot.
· Pour and spread over the top of the chilled pie.
· Refrigerate until the ganache is set.