These gluten free sugar cookies are quite good. They have a light crunchy texture. The dough cannot be rolled like regular cookie dough. If you try to roll it out like you would with regular sugar cookie dough, it will crack. You need to press the dough out with the rolling pin first and then very gently roll it out in small sections. Be very careful when transferring the cookies to the cookie sheet. They break easily. They are sturdier after they come out of the oven and are cooled.
Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
Make this flour blend before making the cookies.
- 2 cups superfine white rice flour (I use Authentic Foods White Rice Flour Superfine)
- 1⅓ cups potato starch
- ⅔ cup tapioca flour
- 3 tsp xanthan gum
Other Cookie Ingredients
- 1 cup Fleischmann’s Unsalted Margarine sticks
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar (sifted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 2 ¼ cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2-3 tsp almond extract (or vanilla extract)
- 5-6 tblsp rice milk
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Combine the flour blend, cream of tartar, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk.
- In a mixing bowl, combine and mix the margarine, confectioners’ sugar, almond and vanilla extracts. Start slowly so you do not end up wearing the sugar.
- Mix in the flour mixture.
- Refrigerate the dough for 1-2 hours or over night.
- On a lightly floured surface, press out the dough and then gently roll out the dough in sections and cut with your favorite cookie cutter(s).
- Place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Dip the tops of the cooled cookies in the frosting, one at a time.
- Sprinkled with your favorite colored sugar.
- Let the frosting dry.
© 2022 Copyright Down With Dairy Blog