Russian tea cakes (aka Mexican wedding cookies) are dense cookies with chopped walnuts rolled in confectioners’ sugar that look like little snowballs. It has become a staple cookie in our home during the holidays. While this cookie is rolled in confectioners’ sugar, it’s not overly sweet and almost a little salty even though there is very little salt. They are guaranteed to have you licking the powdered sugar off your fingers.
1 cup (2 sticks) Fleischmann’s Unsalted Margarine sticks
½ cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
· Finely chop walnuts to equal 1 cup when chopped. Use your food processer if you have one. Set aside
· Whisk the flour and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
· In your mixing bowl, combine the margarine, sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
· Mix in the flour and salt.
· Add the nuts.
· Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
· Preheat oven to 400°F.
· Roll into ½ inch balls (or 1 inch if you prefer a larger cookie).
· Place on a lined, ungreased baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
· Bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies should be set, but not brown.
· Gently roll in sifted confectioners’ sugar.
· Cool completely on a wire rack.
· Once cool, roll the cookies in sifted confectioners’ sugar again.