Jump to recipe
While I still enjoy the traditional oatmeal raisin cookie, this one just takes it to the next level. Toasting the nuts and oatmeal really brings out another layer of flavor that only enhances the cookie. Of course, you can substitute raisins (cranberries) or any nut you prefer (or no nuts at all). You can also use Equal Exchange Chocolates semi-sweet chocolate chips if you prefer. They aren’t bad, but my husband prefers the Dark Chocolate Dream chocolate. The Fleischmann’s Unsalted Margarine sticks give you almost the same results as you would get with real butter. It’s the best for baking, hands down! Let me know how you like them.
The Ultimate Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) softened Fleischmann’s Unsalted Margarine sticks
- 1¼ cups dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 3 cups oatmeal toasted
- 7.5 oz (2.5 bars) Dark Chocolate Dream bar by Sunspire
- 1 5oz. bag of dried tart cherries
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Toast walnuts for 5-7 minutes.
- Toast oatmeal for 5 min. then stir. Set timer for another 4 minutes, stir, and set timer for another 2 minutes. Oatmeal should be fragrant and a light golden color.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in a medium bowl. Whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Chop each triangle of chocolate into 4-5 pieces.
- Cut cherries into halves.
- Chop walnuts.
- Combine 1 tbsp of the flour mixture with the chocolate, cherries, and walnuts in a small bowl. Mix until all the pieces are coated in the flour mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat softened margarine and dark brown sugar.
- Add one egg at a time.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the margarine mixture.
- Mix in the oats.
- Stir (or mix) in the chocolate, cherries and walnuts.
- On parchment lined cookie sheets, place 1.5-2 tbsp of batter 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. The edges should be just slightly golden for chewy cookies.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
I do not receive any compensation from any company. I mention specific brands because they are the ones that I use and I find that they give me the best results or I prefer their taste and/or texture.
© 2023 Copyright Down With Dairy Blog