It took me a while to get this right. Hot chocolate, even instant, has a consistency that it really needs to have to feel like you’re drinking hot chocolate. I originally started out using rice milk and I was never quite satisfied with the results. It wasn’t until I tried the Ripple Half & Half did it taste and feel like real hot chocolate. Feel free to use less or more sugar to get it to your liking. I highly recommend adding the coffee extract or espresso powder. It really enhances the chocolate flavor. That’s why I almost always use it whenever I make something chocolate.
- 1 ½ tbsp dairy free Dutch processed cocoa powder*
- 4 tbsp sugar (adjust to your preference)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups of Ripple Half & Half (or the milk substitute of your choice**)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp coffee extract (or espresso powder)
- Whisk together cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a small pot. If your cocoa powder is lumpy, you should sift it first.
- Very slowly whisk in the half & half.
- Add the vanilla and coffee extracts.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Pour into your favorite mug. This recipe makes enough for 1 huge mug, 2 regular coffee cups, or 3 small cups.
*I prefer using Savory Spice Shop’s cocoa powder.
**If you use a different milk substitute, you will need to add at least ½ tsp of xanthan gum to get the right texture. Add it to the dry ingredients.
© 2023 Copyright Down With Dairy Blog
NOTE: I receive no compensation for mentioning a specific product. I find I get the best results with these products and I want you to be able to achieve the same results.
Hi sorry, to post about this here – but I have a question about the fleischmann’s margarine that you used for the buttercream recipe. I have noticed that the box says “65% spread” I wonder if it always said this, whether this is what you used, or if you really used the margarine version? (which I cannot seem to find anywhere anymore!)
Yes, I use the Fleischmann’s unsalted margarine sticks. Kroger’s carries it and Publix carries it sometimes. I have had Publix special order it for me.